Friday, January 19, 2007

Beth almost rhymes with chef

I have a confession: I, Beth Whitaker, when it comes to cooking, am hopelessly lost.

The recipe book that I bought myself contains two recipes, and I've only made one of the two: Chocolate mousse. :grins:

I just made myself lunch and realized that it's probably not a good thing that when I sit down to pray I end up praying that God would somehow make my meal taste good.

I've been thinking about the future and how someday :grins: I'll be a wife and part of being a wife to me means cooking for your husband. I used to just think I'd marry a chef and then I wouldn't have to worry about cooking. But I like making things for people and since I'm going to marry Jay (who is not a chef), I should probably get on with the whole amazing cook thing. Problem is, it's not as easy as it looks. I thought you can just throw in stuff here and there but I'm learning that instructions are there for a reason. In anything I learn, however, I don't like following the instructions. I'd rather just improvise and be good. Trouble is that the final effect is usually not quite what I'd imagined. My talents from previous concoctions as a child include giant freezie slushes, milkshakes, and melted cheese on chips. . .so my background doesn't exactly go over well with the whole cooking thing. Another point about the wife thing is that Jay's mom is an amazing cook so now only do I have to cook, I have to be amazing. sigh. the future looks sketch.

and yet there is HOPE! My reason?
: 1) my mom didn't learn to cook until she got married and the stuff she makes is amazing!! 2)Jay can cook some stuff--not sure what exactly tho 3)this is the most important: a bunch of my friends get together usually once a week on tuesdays b/n classes and make dinner so I asked for cooking lessons and they're up for it so I'm excited. Actually, I borrowed a recipe for this pasta the other night from them and made it Monday night for my fam = SUCCESS! The plan is to make my fam dinner every Monday night. .so it should be interesting. :grins:

So, with future cooking successes and failures at my door, I will keep you up to date on whether there continues to be hope or not. As for today's lunch, maybe I was just analyzing it too much, but I have decided that fried leftover pasta with cheese and tomatoes is 1)not the easiest thing to eat as the pasta sticks out every which way when you try to put it in your mouth 2)although yummily cheesy it tasted a bit greasy 3)the recipe in the book looked much tastier than how mine turned out. .sigh..so I think I will refrain from that lunch in the future.

ps. If anyone has good recipes/funny cooking stories, fill me in. :grins: thanks

1 comment:

.reva. said...

activities this weekend are happening in peterborough... cait and ruthi are heading up there tonight after dinns..(7ish?) oh yeah, it's saturday... and i'm doing homework and chillin with my fam, cause i haven't hung out with them for a while..
call cait i guess, if you're wanting to go...