Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Brushing shoulders with God

There is something incredibly powerful about the feeling that you have just brushed shoulders with God. At the surface you may appear unchanged--unmoved--save that small smile that has begun to creep across your face. But underneath the surface your emotions are quivering with the sense that something beautiful and powerful has just crossed your path.

I had the privilege of this honour recently during a conversation with a Christian Blind Mission donor who called in because God had been tugging on her heartstrings. At first the conversation seemed that it would just be another "call in, give a donation, thank you, God Bless you, farewell." But I was invited into something much greater. This particular donor--Marion*--told me that she was moved to give to Christian Blind Mission because she knew what it was to be legally blind and then partially blind. Now before you start thinking what's wrong with that sentence--I'll tell you that you probably presume I meant partially and THEN legally blind. But just wait a minute--this is the magic of Marion's story.

Marion shared with me that earlier in her life during a medical examination something had happened that had caused her to lose her vision completely. A few years later she was visiting her friend who was going through a very difficult time. She was led into her friend's house as she could not see at all, and was sitting down beside her friend. At this time she had been praying fervently that God would grant her sight because she wanted to be able to help her friend through the mourning process--specifically she wanted to write some cards for her friend who was too distraught at the time to do so. Marion had a firm belief as she was praying that God would grant her sight back to her.

As only God can do---He answered this prayer. Marion told me that after she prayed this at her friend's house her sight came back completely in one of her eyes (I think it was her right but I'm not completely sure.)Talk about a modern-day miracle! Praise God! Marion informed me that though she is 87 now she has enough sight to be able to drive back and forth from her friends' houses. At this point I was reminded of that story in the Bible where Jesus rubs mud in a blind man's eyes and heals him. Jesus makes the statement that this was done so that God may be glorified. When I mentioned this to Marion--she was thrilled to reply that God has been glorified in a huge and powerful sense as she has shared this story whenever she felt compelled to do so.

Marion then asked if I wouldn't mind hearing another story that truly spoke of God's glory. By this time I was so enthralled--I would have been happy to sit at this wonderful woman's feet and listen for hours. But listening on the phone seemed like the next best thing...

Marion told me that few years before God gave her eyesight back, she was in the hospital giving birth to a child. It was a complicated birth and the child died. The doctor told Marion's husband that he didn't think Marion would make it. Marion was unaware of all this as she was in such a bad state medically. She was in the hospital bed with the nurse beside her when suddenly she saw Jesus walk into the room and up to her bed. (Keep in mind Marion was legally blind at this time.) She couldn't see anything else but she could see Jesus. She said he had such a face of compassion--she was overwhelmed with the sense of His love for her. Marion said to the nurse, "Tell my husband Jesus is here for me and I'm going to go with him." Immediately after she said this, Marion heard Jesus say, "Not now my child, not now." And at this he backed away and left the room and everything was dark again. Soon after this Marion recovered and a few years down the road had the incredible experience of regaining partial sight.

Now for the skeptics out there--I pray skepticism doesn't keep you from believing these incredible miracles. Marion said she doesn't share this story with just anyone but that she really believed that to see Jesus you have to fully believe that He is the Son of God--that He is real.

Marion then asked if she could pray for me and for a few moments we sat in God's presence and spoke with Him out loud. It was truly an amazing experience both during the conversation and after.

I confess I struggled to write this because I left it for a couple days. But I was re-inspired today after a phone call conversation with a donor who just really needed to hear God's incredible love for her. After praying for her I had the sense again that I had just brushed shoulders with God. I have realized through both these experiences and a lifetime of seeing God move, that whether you are the one doing the praying or being prayed for---God will show up on both accounts in a powerfully provoking way.

God bless you today and I encourage you to seek God out--to ask Him to show up and speak to your heart. And if you do--I truly believe He will.

*Marion gave me permission to use her name in telling her story.*

No comments: