Thursday, May 18, 2006

locked in the past (prt 1)

locked in the past..that's where my childhood is...sure I can unlock memories to it, spill a few stories here and there, but it's still locked...sure I can act like a kid, but those actions don't make me a kid again...someday I hope to have a kid or two, but though a sliver of me will be there, it won't be me really...today I was reflecting on what I miss about being a kid...so here goes:

--boys and girls didn't date..they had huge pinecone wars...we got the treefort, the boys got the forest floor
--an old blue water barrel = a mini-pool, a toy to walk about on (and fall off of), an endless entertainment to put people (usually a little sister) in, and push down a hill
--treasure hunts with smarties and babybel cheeses created by my dad
--crawling into my dad's lap for some good ole narnia stories
--the jokes I told always seem hilarious
--hanging on stubbornly to my dad's back pocket, insisting that he pull me up the hill on my roller skates
--telling stories I thought were amazing, oblivious to whether anyone was really listening or not
--sitting in the gutter in my bathing suit after it had rained
--anything the big kids did was impressive
--a sweet old lady's remote controlled chair was like a sweet ride
--a sweet old lady's dog was my best friend
--an old man's truck with poles was a sweet jungle gym (until we were yelled at)
--sat. was sweet (candy day)

that's part 1 when I think of more I'll add...but i'm hungry so food is taking over my mind...ahh...i'm out

1 comment:

Hannah said...

SATURDAY SWEET DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I liked it a lot better when it was Dad in charge though. Mum would only let us have ONE sweet after breakfast and ONE after lunch. Oh well, I guess I do have good teeth now. Thanks Mum?