Friday, April 21, 2006

treasure trove

I happened to pick up my mother's Bible yesterday, simply out of intrigue I suppose...while flipping through it I found notes spilling out, pages of quotes intertwined with Bible verses..it was beautiful...but what was most precious to me was when I found different verses she had underlined, places that God had clearly told ahold of her heart and spoken to her through them....and I felt like God awakened me to something beautiful--you see, I've heard the Bible called "The Living Word" before but never really defined that term to myself..but here, in this precious Bible, was evidence that God is Alive, that He is and has been Living his Word out through my mom's joys, through her trials, and through verses that He specifically gave her to fill up whatever she was lacking in....what a blessing..I then picked up my dad's Bible and found similar notes, not in the same verses exactly, but the fact that he too found specific verses important enough to underline, something that God specifically drove into his heart...I realized, I am so blessed that I can pick up my parents' Bibles, and see evidence that God is working in their hearts...my Bible has become a close friend--to the extent that I miss it if I stay away too long...it holds jewels in it, jewels that speak of failures..times I've fallen on my face and God has scooped me up into His arms...jewels of humour that God has happily pointed out in His scriptures...my friend, Caitlin, and I went exploring in an old antique mall and happened to find an old testement of someone's..and it was soo astounding to see places that this person had marked and so incredible to know that God continues to live out His Word, through speaking to our hearts, whether we know each other's stories or not...there are carefully placed treasure troves in our Bibles...God is real and alive and I take so so much joy in that...I pray that your Bible reveals its jewels to you and that God writes them on your heart...God Bless...

1 comment:

the James said...

That's cool, I have found my dad's old bible, and my mom keeps hers by her bedside. It is very cool, I only have one bible that I write notes in, and I have not done so in a few months. I have been reading this other one, that I am not writing in. But I still love it, them, I am trying to read it in a years time. Taking time to see things that I had never seen before. It is so cool, and this will be the first time I have read it all. I am excited!